Alderbury & Whaddon

Local History Research Group

 

 

 

 

Home

 

Alderbury Sports, Clubs and Societies

 

Alderbury is a small village which coalesces with Whaddon. It has a rich source of social life, with something for all tastes. Many people, particularly the young, consider recreation activities in a village to be limited. However, in Alderbury and Whaddon there are over 20 clubs, societies and associations, catering for the very youngest members of the community through the ‘Mothers and Toddlers Group’ to activities more suited to the senior residents. Others have come and gone over the years, as fashion and enthusiasm have changed. On this page we will regularly feature some of these groups. Older articles will be moved into the archive area, so they will remain accessible to researchers.

 

Alderbury Cricket Club

                The Alderbury Cricket Club was one of the oldest clubs in the village, being formed in 1885. There is evidence of an earlier club in the Reading Room records of 1871.  From the beginning, the clergy have played a role in the club, with Canon Hutchings being Chairman in the earliest days. In the early 1900s, the Rev. CS Weallins was both Captain and Chairman of the Club. Formal club rules were not drawn up until 1906, an early example being suspension and a fine for continued use of foul language! A number of well established village families have been associated with the Club over the years, including Dowty, Eyres, Snook, Crook, Hickman, Earney, Witt, and Bayford; there are many others, too numerous to mention. One of the highest scores recorded in the published history is 273 for 3 at Sommerton, with Tom Dowty achieving the first century for the Club. The club ceased to play during World War II, although the years immediately following the war were busy ones. There have been numerous games, fondly remembered by the residents of Alderbury and of the surrounding south Wiltshire villages whom the team played against over the years. Sadly, in 1999, through lack of support, the club was forced to close.

 

Alderbury Football Club

                There has been a club playing in the Salisbury and District League for most seasons since 1902. Tales of keenly contested local derby matches with neighbouring villages still linger in the memories of the village residents. Home games were probably played on the land that is now the Recreation Ground and when it was acquired by the Parish Council in the 1930s, the club paid £2. 0s. 0d. rental per season for its use. In those days, the matches were always played on Saturdays as Sunday games on the Recreation Ground were forbidden. The rule was relaxed for servicemen during World War II but afterwards, was reinstated for some years.

                Today, the club’s ground is situated off Junction Road. The club is well supported with some 200 members drawn from a wide area. The senior teams play in Division One of the Saturday League and in Divisions Two and Four of the Sunday League.

                Club competition honours include the Heseltine Cup (1950-51), the Charity Cup ‘C’ (1972-73), the Cook Cup (1982-83) and the Kimber Cup (1982-83).

                At the advent of the new millennium, there were teams for the under-15s, under-13s and under-11s playing on Sunday mornings or afternoons in the Burbage League. In 1988, the under-14s team won the League Cup. Boys – and girls – who are under 10, or under 8, play in a mini-soccer league. It is clear that for the foreseeable future, Alderbury’s  footballing tradition is set to continue.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Village history

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The post office

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Inns & Alehouses

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Village war memorial

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

St Mary’s Church

 

 

Alderbury has a wealth of clubs and societies, some of which have a history of over 100 years

 

 

 

 

 

Historical walk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Views of Alderbury

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Current research

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Publications

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Links

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FAQs

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Archive articles

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Contact us

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2008 Alderbury & Whaddon Local History Research Group –

See our privacy statement